Who does "The Overseas Fandom" refer to exactly?

RaccoonButler

Founder of The Church of Mawarine Shuu
Defender of Defoko
Most commonly, I've heard the term used to refer to American users, but also to refer to anyone who is not native to Japan. I've also heard it in reference to everyone who is not from either the U.S. or Japan, and once to refer instead to users who ARE native to Japan-

So now, I'm a little confused

Arissa

Ritsu's Renegades
Defender of Defoko
Overseas in this case would be someone outside of Japan. Whether or not things like ethnicity and all factor into that I'm not really sure ;^^

Perhaps demographic may factor in, or at least affect a user's.. Connotation? Like how a user carries themselves and how they appear to Japanese users or overseas users,,, But tbh that doesn't really change whether a user is overseas or not, but may affect how they are perceived, as their appears to be bias regarding being overseas or native Japanese

Reactions: MillyAqualine

Mougeki Mero

Defoko's Slaves
Defender of Defoko
IIRC, overseas technically refers to anyone on a country that is separated by an ocean from your country. On the UTAU (and other japanese related-stuff) community overseas generally is used as non-japan, for example, with China and Korean being also considered overseas.

I personally use "overseas" to describe anything out of japan. Some people consider it not asian, others consider it a synonim for occident...

Thinking of anything not US as overseas sounds kinda weird to me XD

MillyAqualine

Ritsu's Renegades
Defender of Defoko
Normally, "Overseas" label everything that isn't from Japan as from their point of view, everyone is overseas.... Howevder, I tend like some users to refer primordially American users, and have been doing it since the very beginning, even if I define myself Overseas and I'm French

Reactions: Mougeki Mero
P

partial

I've always assumed overseas was an umbrella term for anyone not directly in Japan, but I suppose I should say anyone not within Japan and not Japan native.

Last edited by a moderator: