Who does "The Overseas Fandom" refer to exactly?

Discussion in 'UTAU Discussion' started by RaccoonButler, Dec 3, 2017.

1. RaccoonButler

RaccoonButler Founder of The Church of Mawarine Shuu Defender of Defoko

Trophy Points
    Most commonly, I've heard the term used to refer to American users, but also to refer to anyone who is not native to Japan. I've also heard it in reference to everyone who is not from either the U.S. or Japan, and once to refer instead to users who ARE native to Japan-

So now, I'm a little confused

3. Arissa

Arissa Ritsu's Renegades Defender of Defoko

Trophy Points
    Overseas in this case would be someone outside of Japan. Whether or not things like ethnicity and all factor into that I'm not really sure ;^^

Perhaps demographic may factor in, or at least affect a user's.. Connotation? Like how a user carries themselves and how they appear to Japanese users or overseas users,,, But tbh that doesn't really change whether a user is overseas or not, but may affect how they are perceived, as their appears to be bias regarding being overseas or native Japanese

MillyAqualine likes this.
  4. Mougeki Mero

Mougeki Mero Defoko's Slaves Defender of Defoko

Trophy Points
    IIRC, overseas technically refers to anyone on a country that is separated by an ocean from your country. On the UTAU (and other japanese related-stuff) community overseas generally is used as non-japan, for example, with China and Korean being also considered overseas.

I personally use "overseas" to describe anything out of japan. Some people consider it not asian, others consider it a synonim for occident...

Thinking of anything not US as overseas sounds kinda weird to me XD

VocAddict and Kiyoteru like this.
  5. MillyAqualine

MillyAqualine Ritsu's Renegades Defender of Defoko

Trophy Points
    Normally, "Overseas" label everything that isn't from Japan as from their point of view, everyone is overseas.... Howevder, I tend like some users to refer primordially American users, and have been doing it since the very beginning, even if I define myself Overseas and I'm French

Mougeki Mero likes this.
  6. Info-Chan

Info-Chan SELENA Developer Supporter Defender of Defoko

Trophy Points
    Anything not Japanese

Mougeki Mero and MillyAqualine like this.
  7. Kiyoteru

Kiyoteru Local Sensei / Kuya Supporter Defender of Defoko

Trophy Points
    I agree that "overseas" in the context of UTAU means non-Japanese, which I actually prefer over terminology like "the western community." I'm certainly not in the western part of the world, but I'm definitely overseas from Japan.

8. Skiyoshi 十三

Skiyoshi 十三 Lotus#12915 Defender of Defoko

Trophy Points
    I always thought Overseas just meant the western community.

MillyAqualine likes this.
  9. partial

partial 【VCCV advocate】 Supporter Defender of Defoko

Trophy Points
    I've always assumed overseas was an umbrella term for anyone not directly in Japan, but I suppose I should say anyone not within Japan and not Japan native.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017 at 6:02 PM
    MillyAqualine and Orbittals like this.