Contest Want to have a Tuning Contest/Festival?

kimchi-tan

Your local Mikotard
Global Mod
Defender of Defoko
The Japanese community had some tuning festivals where one would show off their tuning through around the first verses and chorus of a cover song. I was thinking if we, the English speaking community, should have something similar to that as well.

The Tuning Festival is now being revived!
Reviving this thread as the Tuning Festival is now going to be affiliated with the UTAU Human Project (as in they will help out create the introductory video and will co-host the event) and will start at around November of this year! Sorry for the really long project hiatus OTL

Since it's been a long time since discussion, I'll have to ask the community a few things:

1. Should there still be optional songs? (If there is, it will slow down the progress of the introductory video, by the way.)
2. Instead of restricting the contest to just until the end of this year, how about making it a winter tuning fest so it'll last up to March of next year?
3. Anyone willing to help out with the introductory video? We are currently accepting anyone who can tune talkloid well to help out!

I won't be putting up a poll for this since we really want well-thought out responses for the festival to push through (this time for real OTL).

First Question:
Before we discuss the rules, we would have to decide what song we should all tune to. Or should we just go ahead and pick whatever song we want?

And there's the question whether or not should it be a "contest" (our goal is to have our tuning voted as the "best") or a "festival" (showing off our tuning with no goal in mind).

Results:
IaVDBKT.png

Second Question:
Now, the next step: how should we label and compile our tuning videos?
Label: Would something like 【UTAUTuningFestival2016】suffice or would more specific that details us being non-Japanese users?
Compiling: Nico has tags we can just add but YouTube doesn't have that feature (too bad there's no such as a "community playlist). How should our tuning videos be compiled? Should someone volunteer to make a playlist, or should it just be?

Results:
I1kya8T.png

Third and Fourth Questions:
  1. Perhaps 【UTAUTuningFestival2016】 would take too much of the title. Please vote on your thoughts on this poll.
  2. The festival duration is still kinda vague at this point, isn't it? What duration should the festival last? Vote on the new poll above.
Results:
upload_2016-7-29_13-30-32-png.2617

upload_2016-7-29_13-30-42-png.2618

Should we still have optional songs?
Please read this post and the posts prior.

Optional songs!
While it will be a free-for-all Tuning Festival, having similar tuning videos with other tuners can make us see the differences on how others would tune that song. The Japanese community had two chosen songs to be tuned, so we could have two optional songs to be tuned. Since this is the English-speaking UTAU community, we could have an English song and a Japanese song.
Here are the criteria for choosing the optional songs:
  1. A free instrumental for the song should be available.
  2. A complete UST—preferably with little tuning—for the song should be available.
  3. It should have been released this year—this is the UTAU Tuning Fest 2016 after all.
  4. The song should not be too long—around the 3 minute mark or so.
  5. The song should not have too many notes on the same pitch consecutively—we would want diverse pitchbend styles.
  6. The song should have a decent vocal range—enough that most multipitch banks would have most of their pitches used but not too much that only naturally flexible banks can handle.
  7. Both soft and powerful banks would go well with the song—having only power or soft banks used would be boring.

Nominate songs that fit these criteria in a reply and I'll add them in the poll. You will be able to change your votes anytime so come back whenever someone nominates a song!

All running polls will end on Sept. 12

If you have any objections or suggestions for the criteria, please reply!

Optional Japanese song results:
upload_2016-8-8_20-8-11-png.2678

Will update this post as we discuss on what to do.
*31/05 - Added a poll
*08/06 - First poll ended. New poll added.
*03/07 - Looking for a video editor for the introductory video.
*11/07 - Second poll ended. Added two new polls.
*29/07 - Third and Fourth polls ended. New polled added.
*08/08 - Fifth poll ended. Sixth poll added.
*29/08 - New poll added in another thread. Sixth poll extended.
*21/08/2017 - Festival progress revived

Last edited:

Kiyoteru

UtaForum power user
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
I think I'd rather do a festival, and as for the song... probably something English? Maybe a producer that doesn't get covered as much as others (like AdyS) so that they have a chance at exposure.

Reactions: Skiyoshi 十三

Cine

Certified paint water drinker.
Defender of Defoko
This sounds intresting. I think it would also be a great learning experience, both for those who can improve their skills and those here who don't know much at all. I think a festival would be nice as it feels more inclusive, but i don't think a little competition is a bad thing.

HulderBulder

Retired User
Retired User
Defender of Defoko
I enjoy videos that display the tuning! They usually end upp with some interesting pitch lines and sounds.
As for it to be a festival or competition, I dont really know. Not many people went through with the wave tuning game, but ther might have been alot of different reasons why, instead of not having a revard.
I think there should be more than 1 song to choose from though...

Chianachini

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
The summer should be perfect for this kind of event. It seems to have the potential for many learning experiences. Perhaps include an honorable mentions reel?

Reactions: Nohkara

kimchi-tan

Your local Mikotard
Global Mod
Defender of Defoko
Hmm, a lot of mixed but laid back responses.

I guess we should wait for others' input before proceeding? Should I put up a poll?

❤️PuririnLuka❤️

Arsloids Guardian
Defender of Defoko
Honestly this is a good Idea I would love to join this, but I thought maybe we could all tune one part of the same song and maybe mix it from there? yeah I know stupid, lolz just an idea xD but this tuning festival is nice

danlof99

Ritsu's Renegades
Defender of Defoko
I think this is a very good idea... we can learn from each other and improve our tuning in a certain sense... A little competition would be also nice (even if I suck at tuning lol)

kimchi-tan

Your local Mikotard
Global Mod
Defender of Defoko
Okay, guys, I added a poll!

Since not everyone replies with their opinion, a poll should give us more responses!

smmi

Teto's Territory
Supporter
This is a brilliant idea!

As RaccoonButler said, I think it would make most sense if we used the same song for comparison, or at least a limited amount, like songs suited for different voice types, maybe at least one in english, and maybe even other languages? Idk, just some ideas.

Also, I do like the idea of a competition, but I know there are some more well-known tuners out there, and while I'm of course not saying I wouldn't allow them competing, I'm afraid they might over-shadow some newcomers, you know what I'm saying? How would we prevent that from happening? I personally think we should start off with just a festival for fun and see how that goes.

xShadowxXIII

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
Back in the olden days I remember having participated in something where we were given one song part anda voicebank and had to tune it.
I'd appreciate having something similar to that again; maybe alter it so that it's one song part to tune but you can choose the UTAU to use

kimchi-tan

Your local Mikotard
Global Mod
Defender of Defoko
"Festival and any song" seem to be winning!

But since "Festival and one song" is at second place, we could always discuss on an optional song we could all tune and then go ahead tune other songs later one.

How long should the poll be kept open until we proceed? Next Tuesday, maybe?

kimchi-tan

Your local Mikotard
Global Mod
Defender of Defoko
IaVDBKT.png

Welp, no new votes are coming, so I guess we'll have a free-for-all festival!

Now, the next step: how should we label and compile our tuning videos?
Label: Would something like 【UTAUTuningFestival2016】suffice or would more specific that details us being non-Japanese users?
Compiling: Nico has tags we can just add but YouTube doesn't have that feature (too bad there's no such as a "community playlist). How should our tuning videos be compiled? Should someone volunteer to make a playlist, or should it just be?

(Someone please merge this post with my previous one and delete this sentence, please)

Flavio Riama

Teto's Territory
I think there should be a post where everyone can add their songs. I think it might me okay with it without the need of compiling. =3

Cine

Certified paint water drinker.
Defender of Defoko
If you want a personal tag, maybe 【UF Tuning Festival 2016】 or 【UFTF2016】

kimchi-tan

Your local Mikotard
Global Mod
Defender of Defoko
I think there should be a post where everyone can add their songs. I think it might me okay with it without the need of compiling. =3
How about the non-UTAforum members that want to participate in the festival? :uhm:
If you want a personal tag, maybe 【UF Tuning Festival 2016】 or 【UFTF2016】
I personally chose 【UTAUTuningFestival2016】 with no spacing, since if searched, only our tuning videos with that in the title will appear, those who haven't heard of the festival may understand what's going on, and non-UTAforum users won't feel out if they want to join. If something like 【UTAU Tuning Festival 2016】 (with spaces) was searched, other videos with "UTAU", "Tuning", and "Festival" in the title or tags posted on 2016 that aren't for the tuning festival may end up appearing. But hey, your 2 cents and mine.

Reactions: Mougeki Mero

Mougeki Mero

Defoko's Slaves
Defender of Defoko
Well, the Nico Nico UTAU Festival 3 used some tags besides the official name. All of them were detailed and without spaces to be sure people would find only the festival videos.

kimchi-tan

Your local Mikotard
Global Mod
Defender of Defoko
By the way, what time of the year do most Westerners begin their summer vacation? (I'm from Asia, you see.)
Maybe around that we can begin our festival and a date to end the poll.