VOCALOID-quality UTAUs

DerpingToaster

Teto's Territory
Do you guys know of any VOCALOID-quality UTAUs? By VOCALOID-quality, I mean in terms of Voicebank quality, not number of sounds or whatever. VOCALOID-quality recordings. I love HQ Voicebanks, and I'm trying to find more.

Tema

Living Katsudon
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
(Let me just add a disclaimer that mixing and tuning skills trump VB quality a great deal though quality can help a little)

If you have some money to spend, I'd recommend getting the Perfect Master pack from the Windows 100% magazine. I'm not sure about free banks that are high quality, because over half the time when I think the bank's quality it turns out it was just great tuning.

Chiharu

Teto's Territory
I think tuning & mixing skills play important part. Because if you suck at tuning & mixing, even though you use hi-quality Vocaloid the result will not sounds good.

Reactions: Arissa

shinami

Procrastination Queen
Tutor
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Is Perfect Master pack ALL the banks? I'm not super familiar with Windows 100%, but if that existed dayum.

From personal experience, Hagane Hey is the only one worth purchasing (1000x yes hagane hey is so great i love him so much ahhhh so fun to play with and use), but this is coming from a cheapskate who thought the only way you got Windows 100% UTAUs was in small packs that I wouldn't purchase. I got really lucky when a long while ago I managed to snag him in a giveaway. From what I've heard, some Windows 100% banks are not very good at all, so you'd really have to research.

Generally multipitch JP VCV banks are really good (some Overseas are great as well, but if you're a stickler for pronunciation…), but even then it's up to resampler, tuning, mixing, etc. And if you're going by mic quality - very few banks have those details.

Tema

Living Katsudon
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
shinami said:
Is Perfect Master pack ALL the banks? I'm not super familiar with Windows 100%, but if that existed dayum.

It's not all of them, but as far as I know (which isn't far) it's the biggest selection in one. It has Fumika, Tomo, Maita, Mitsuko, Kaa-chan/Momloid, Kujiloid, DAICHI, Hana, Funa, and Nooru. (I mainly got it because I like Mitsuko and Kujiloid)

shinami

Procrastination Queen
Tutor
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Oh yeah, Mitsuko is pretty dang good as well, if I could get her I would. But the pack seems so unattractive to me without Hey (and I've liked how Ane Mone and Corone Coro (?) have sounded in a think or two I've heard).

But all this talk of Windows 100%, make sure to keep in mind that just because you have to buy them doesn't mean that they're better. You have to buy Macne's too, yes, but there are MANY free UTAUs that are far superior.
(Though Hey is voiced by Gero I believe, and there are very very very few male UTAUs who can match his quality and tone - okay I'll be quiet about him now. On a downside he doesn't do well in the low ranges most male banks can do and he's a bit quiet/slightly muffled so you have to work a bit with resamplers/flags/mixing to get the best out of him.)

oteto

Tetoholic
Defender of Defoko
in my opinion, any well recorded/otod utaloid is vocaloid quality. vocaloids are awesome but UTAU is more versatile.

shinami

Procrastination Queen
Tutor
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Umbreon126 said:
psst hagane hey (鋼音ヘイ) is voiced by kouhey (鋼兵)

AH I FEEL SUCH SHAME
(i knew it was either gero or kouhei but i couldn't remember at the moment)
FORGIVE ME HEYYYYY

Everyone is right in that tuning+mixing is almost all that matters. As long as the mic used is decent (I know some people have used her well, but I'm sorry, Defoko will never sound super amazing), and they can pronounce proficiently the language, it can sound good.

na4a4a

Outwardly Opinionated and Harshly Critical
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
there are plenty of "vocaloid quality" banks

even the best banks will sound bad if the user does not tune it...same for vocaloid...they sound drunk...

but even poorly configured banks can be re-otoed to sound really good.

CarrotJuice

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
anna nyui
naiamiamaiamaiamne ritsu
gahata meji
puru-chan

these are vocaloid quality imo out of all the banks i own i mean by vocaloid quality pretty nice by default most banks can sound vocaloid quality if you try ^_^

(*secretly hopes that this doesnt become a self-advertising thread*)

Velvet

Ritsu's Renegades
Defender of Defoko
I'd say Akesato is Vocaloid quality
sm25310806

And there's Kohaku Merry

(I've used both of them in the past)

shinami

Procrastination Queen
Tutor
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
wow such necro
hi older me posts

Dunno why the necro, but I still stand by that tuning+mixing is everything as long as the bank was recorded with an okay microphone. Nothing has changed really.

Velvet

Ritsu's Renegades
Defender of Defoko
oh whoops sorry didn't realize how old this was, only replied because someone else did

m170

Ritsu's Renegades
Defender of Defoko
This thread is old but
i recommend akemi kinko
she sounds kinda nasally and flat but some resamplers make her sound less nasally.