Utau-Synth not singing unless it's a premade UST

Inexperienced

Momo's Minion
I have both the Japanese and English versions of Utau-Synth on my computer. A few months ago when I was just messing around with it and trying to figure out how the voicebanks work (not really doing much, just trying to make notes form actual words) it suddenly stopped making any sound at all. I have several voicebanks in it both English and Japanese and none of them make any sound when I make any notes and play them back, however one of the voicebanks came with a UST and when I import and play the UST it works fine, but if I put any other notes in with the UST whatever notes I put in won't render or make any sound at all and I can't find anywhere online that says what to do in this situation, or at least I can't find any solutions for Utau-Synth.

I know pretty much next to nothing about a voice synthesizer, so please help.

HoneyPai

Defoko's Slaves
Defender of Defoko
May not be of much help but to the banks have utau synth compatible otos?
Some formats of banks, such as cv, need the oto file and the oto.ini file
Also unlike windows utau, you can drag and drop voicebanks into the programs
Whereas from what I remember, you have to actually import the voicebanks into utau synth

Reactions: lunavi

lunavi

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
Can you provide a screenshot of UTAU-Synth with the dysfunctional notes? Also, just for reference, are you using hiragana or romaji?

Whereas from what I remember, you have to actually import the voicebanks into utau synth

I've never had OTO compatibility issues with UTAU-Synth -- if there's no oto_INI.txt file, it generates it's own from the oto.ini and uses that instead.

Reactions: HoneyPai

HoneyPai

Defoko's Slaves
Defender of Defoko
I've never had OTO compatibility issues with UTAU-Synth -- if there's no oto_INI.txt file, it generates it's own from the oto.ini and uses that instead.

Interesting! I've actually never had utau synth generate an oto.ini file for banks that don't have one on my end

lunavi

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
Interesting! I've actually never had utau synth generate an oto.ini file for banks that don't have one on my end

Really? What version of UTAU-Synth are you using? Maybe that was a thing that changed when the program was updated?

HoneyPai

Defoko's Slaves
Defender of Defoko
Really? What version of UTAU-Synth are you using? Maybe that was a thing that changed when the program was updated?

Most likely, haven't used utau synth since the last time the code stopped working for a bit

lunavi

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
Most likely, haven't used utau synth since the last time the code stopped working for a bit

I was just tinkering in UTAU-Synth, loading voicebanks without oto_ini.txt files to be sure I was recalling correctly. (For the record, I'm using version 1.0.0b18.) For me, UTAU-Synth will load and play any voicebank with an oto.ini. It generates an oto_ini.txt file if you open the editor and save (regardless of whether changes have been made to the oto or not.) It'll use the oto_ini.txt version from then on. So, not spontaneous automatic generation, but close. ^^

Inexperienced

Momo's Minion

I'm not even sure what otos or oto.ini files are. I've never had any problems with any of the voicebanks before this.
[doublepost=1472519821][/doublepost]
Can you provide a screenshot of UTAU-Synth with the dysfunctional notes? Also, just for reference, are you using hiragana or romaji?

http://i.imgur.com/qeM3xej.png
- This is an English voicebank. It has a UST that works perfectly fine.: http://i.imgur.com/tue9FjW.png
If I put in any of the same notes, in the UST or in a new project they won't render/make sound.

http://i.imgur.com/6BPVW7L.png
- This one is a Japanese voicebank. As far as I can tell, like the English voicebank, no notes work, even though it shows they're there.

http://i.imgur.com/vdc25X4.png
- This is, of course, the default. It doesn't even work.

Zoku

making doper vocaloid music than the rest
Defender of Defoko
If it's possible, like @lunavi said, could you share a screenshot of the notes that aren't working?

I'm not even sure what otos or oto.ini files are.

OTOs are the configuration files for UTAU voicebanks. I'd get into more depth, but this isnt the time nor place :P

lunavi

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
Okay, after looking at the screenshots and tinkering around in UTAU-Synth, I was able to replicate your issue.

There's a dark gray area at the bottom of the UTAU-Synth screen. Every note in a UST has a polygon representation there -- pink when highlighted, blue when not. Those polygons called envelopes. Among other things, the envelope display will tell you what the volume of each note is — that’s what the notation just above each envelope is.

In the screenshots with the notes that work, you can see that the notation reads “+0.0dB(100)” — that’s the default volume setting. In the screenshots with the notes that aren’t working, you can see that the notation reads: “-INFdB(0)” — the volume has been turned completely off.

I think what’s happened is that the note settings have been adjusted — specifically, the volume setting for each new note created has accidentally been set at 0. (The premade USTs are working fine, because the notes are still set at what the creator of the UST set them at.)

Fixing this, fortunately, should be pretty easy. In UTAU-Synth, press “K” on your keyboard. This will pop up a configuration menu, with tabs reading “General”, “Pitch”, “Vibrato,” and “Envelope.” Under “General,” there are several sliders that control various settings. The topmost slider controls volume, and changes the default volume setting for all new notes you create. At the bottom of the window, there’s a button that says “reset.” Push that, and it’ll reset all of your note settings to the original default settings — including the volume setting, which should be “100.”

This should fix your problem. If it doesn’t let us know, and I’ll get back to tinkering. ^^

Reactions: Kiyoteru

Inexperienced

Momo's Minion
Okay, after looking at the screenshots and tinkering around in UTAU-Synth, I was able to replicate your issue.

There's a dark gray area at the bottom of the UTAU-Synth screen. Every note in a UST has a polygon representation there -- pink when highlighted, blue when not. Those polygons called envelopes. Among other things, the envelope display will tell you what the volume of each note is — that’s what the notation just above each envelope is.

In the screenshots with the notes that work, you can see that the notation reads “+0.0dB(100)” — that’s the default volume setting. In the screenshots with the notes that aren’t working, you can see that the notation reads: “-INFdB(0)” — the volume has been turned completely off.

I think what’s happened is that the note settings have been adjusted — specifically, the volume setting for each new note created has accidentally been set at 0. (The premade USTs are working fine, because the notes are still set at what the creator of the UST set them at.)

Fixing this, fortunately, should be pretty easy. In UTAU-Synth, press “K” on your keyboard. This will pop up a configuration menu, with tabs reading “General”, “Pitch”, “Vibrato,” and “Envelope.” Under “General,” there are several sliders that control various settings. The topmost slider controls volume, and changes the default volume setting for all new notes you create. At the bottom of the window, there’s a button that says “reset.” Push that, and it’ll reset all of your note settings to the original default settings — including the volume setting, which should be “100.”

This should fix your problem. If it doesn’t let us know, and I’ll get back to tinkering. ^^

It worked! Thank you! It seems it was only the default volume setting that somehow got changed. I guess now I just have to figure out how the heck that even happened to begin with, since whatever happened affected both the English and Japanese versions of UTAU-Synth, but when I fixed the English version the Japanese version wasn't fixed with it. Strange, but both versions are back to normal now.

lunavi

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
Yay! You're very welcome, I'm happy to help! (Especially since there's not a lot of help resources out there for us UTAU-Synth users, lol.) That's interesting that it somehow affected both the English & Japanese versions -- no idea why that happened, but at least it was an easy fix. ^^