UTAU isn't recognizing voice files

KYASURlN

Momo's Minion
Hello! My friend had recently handed me her voicebank in order to oto it, but when I opened it up in UTAU, the otoing is often times blank and looks like this:

help_by_kyasurln-dbufuuc.png

However, the UTAU still makes noises and sings. In addition, the files within the voicebank look like this on my computer:

capture_by_kyasurln-dbufv25.png

Does anyone have any idea how to fix this? I would have gone through each audio file individually and rename them myself but I don't really have a good ear for that, and I don't really want to ask my friend to rename all of her files for me. Can anyone help?

KYASURlN

Momo's Minion
Do you have Japanese locale set up on your computer? Looks like that could be mojibake from the machine not being able to read the filenames.
I actually don't, as I am using my dad's computer and I am afraid that changing the locale could potentially mess up some of his work programs. I was hoping to find another solution, but if not then I'll probably try it out some time. Is it possible to change the locale right back to normal after I test it out, or do I need to have it changed while trying to oto it?

Kiyoteru

UtaForum power user
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
You generally need the correct locale in order to run UTAU correctly and related programs (like OREMO). Once you've changed it to Japanese, redownload the voicebank/reinstall UTAU so that all the filenames are correct.

수연 <Suyeon>

Your friendly neighborhood koreaboo trash
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
The only potential problems that could happen to your dad's programs for work (is this his work machine specifically or general use?) is that the language could change to Japanese upon restart, but most programs have Preferences/Options/Settings where you can change back to the language of choice. If that happens and you're not familiar with the programs in question, Google is your friend.

UTAU runs best when it is in the correct locale setting. You'll have more than just mojibake problems if you don't run UTAU and it's associated programs (Oremo, Setparam, etc.) under the conditions it was made for. Do you have a machine of your own or another machine you share with someone where you can install UTAU - with proper locale - and not worry about interfering with one another's workflow?