The VCCV English Discourse

OngakuCD

Ritsu's Renegades
Defender of Defoko
So VCCV english has been in the community for about two years now (time passes so fast) and the amount of users is growing. The point of this thread is for VCCV users to rant/help each other/ask questions/express ideas/express concerns/get to know each other and their utau/post random things doodles/ect.

Hopefully those who actively use this thread can walk away with connections to others with the same experience :D

Also some links voicebanks and ust's
VCCV English Ust's
VCCV Voicebank Directory

Last edited:

Sors

Local Guppie & UTAU Korean Advocate
Tutor
Defender of Defoko
I just hope VCCV stays the standart lol, and won't be overthroned by arpasing

OngakuCD

Ritsu's Renegades
Defender of Defoko

I don't really see VCCV being threatened by aprasing. I know that I'm going to stick with whatever Cz puts out there because I'm familiar with her technique, and make content for VCCV english voicebanks. I feel like Cz's list is backed by brand loyalty so even if it takes longer to record/oto.ini than arprasing, some people will still make voicebanks for it XD.

Reactions: PeriodicalUtau
P

partial

Ooh, this is such a great idea!

I think most of Utaforum knows by now I'm a huge VCCV advocate and I have been from the very beginning. The amount of recordings and otoing doesn't bother me very much at all because I know the results that VCCV brings, alongside ease of use. I think arpasing is alright but at the same time I don't think it's fair to totally discredit the years of work Cz has put into making VCCV(she's been at it since at least 2010, I've done research). She wanted UTAU to sing in English and she made it possible. I'm definitely a fan of her work, because it's English UTAU that got me to make a voicebank at all. VCCV is really easy to use, though that's probably because of the amount of work I've done with it. I have no problem at all forming words or using it, but arpasing is like a foreign land; so foreign in fact that I had to use Cz's phonemes on the arpasing phoneme site to even begin to try creating a bank. Like, "ay" in arpasing doesn't look like Cz's "I" to me. It looks like "A", and that's exactly what I'd say. This is true for many other samples. OTL

I hope VCCV remains as a popular method of doing English. I don't think arpasing is bad or anything, I think it's a great stepping stone for people interested in getting into English, but I also find arpasing.... sort of lower quality in terms of pronunciation? Not that it's bad. I'm aware that it's still really good but I can't help but hold it to a lower standard than VCCV. It feels lazy I guess, since a lot of people don't get farther than the moresampler generated oto. Myself included because I don't know exactly how to oto it.

My UTAU, TYPE A, was meant to only be English. Because, as someone who only speaks English, I really don't hold interest in making another Japanese UTAU that I could only ever use for covers. So my boy is getting a massive update to his English. It's currently in the works, though I tend to procrastinate a LOT so I have no idea when I'll be done.

I thank Cz for her VCCV magic everyday tbh.

PeriodicalUtau

Retired User
Retired User
I agree with this, and I'm definitely not meaning to discredit non-VCCV things. Right now, it's just the method I prefer, but I'm sure as arpasing improves and as I figure out how to read the reclist I'll warm up to it.
Speaking of Arpasing, if anyone needs or wants help with it, just dm me! I know how it works although I've never recorded it... (I've otoed it as well so if you have questions just ask!)

Sors

Tutor
Defender of Defoko
Speaking of Arpasing, if anyone needs or wants help with it, just dm me! I know how it works although I've never recorded it... (I've otoed it as well so if you have questions just ask!)
Uhm, not to sound rude or anything, htho I don't think this is the right thread to do a bit of selfpromotion/offer help...

PeriodicalUtau

Retired User
Retired User
Uhm, not to sound rude or anything, htho I don't think this is the right thread to do a bit of selfpromotion/offer help...
I saw people bein cornfuzzled is all lol, sorry if it looks odd I'll delete it if you guys want me to.

P

partial

I saw people bein cornfuzzled is all lol, sorry if it looks odd I'll delete it if you guys want me to.
Noooo, this is perfect actually, I have a lot of questions! I'll shoot you a PM in a bit - I am absolutely clueless as to how to work with the oto for it. (I don't have an arpasing bank of my own to even really ask questions about right now but I can record one probably. I shy away from arpasing because it's so confusing!)

Sors

Tutor
Defender of Defoko
Noooo, this is perfect actually, I have a lot of questions! I'll shoot you a PM in a bit - I am absolutely clueless as to how to work with the oto for it. (I don't have an arpasing bank of my own to even really ask questions about right now but I can record one probably. I shy away from arpasing because it's so confusing!)
Oh, in that case, apologies to you @PeriodicalUtau !

PeriodicalUtau

Retired User
Retired User
Oh, in that case, apologies to you @PeriodicalUtau !
oh lol
oH lol

kimchi-tan

Your local Mikotard
Global Mod
Defender of Defoko
Just something that I want to express: you know how back then recording in Japanese VCV was only for crazies? I want to shoutout to everyone who has recorded multipitch VCCV. You guys are the ultimate crazies and I love you all. Godspeed.

P

partial

Just something that I want to express: you know how back then recording in Japanese VCV was only for crazies? I want to shoutout to everyone who has recorded multipitch VCCV. You guys are the ultimate crazies and I love you all. Godspeed.
What if I've not recorded a multipitch VCCV but am recording one? 1 pitch is finished (has been for probably 3 weeks), the second is about 75% done (has been sitting for like, 2 weeks) and there are five total planned.

kimchi-tan

Your local Mikotard
Global Mod
Defender of Defoko
What if I've not recorded a multipitch VCCV but am recording one? 1 pitch is finished (has been for probably 3 weeks), the second is about 75% done (has been sitting for like, 2 weeks) and there are five total planned.
Even more godspeed <3

OngakuCD

Ritsu's Renegades
Defender of Defoko

I'm working on a possible multipitch and also a new jazzy voicebank that will also be bi-pitched.

Clearly I don't love myself
[doublepost=1509678375][/doublepost]And btw cause I see this already started: Leave arpraising out of the thread unless it of utmost relevance to a conversation. I want this to be VCCV oriented and not to talk down on another reclist just because

P

partial

Hmm. Well, in the spirit of VCCV-related discussion, how did you guys feel when hearing the demos for it?

Yoichi-Masaki

Ritsu's Renegades
Defender of Defoko
meh, arpassing is pretty much just weirdly aliased VCCV. I think people are more concerned with english being legible than having to record less. Besides, arpassing is the same amout of oto, which I feel is more off putting. Arpassing could be convenient for scremo or something but atm it's quality and lack of usts is going to hold it back.
[doublepost=1509680627][/doublepost]
Hmm. Well, in the spirit of VCCV-related discussion, how did you guys feel when hearing the demos for it?
It was very interesting to hear it in the beginning, I waited on CVVC because of how amazing the demos were. I'm hoping in the future there can be a work to the VCCV list where multiple constant notes go smoother*, but it is an amazing step compared to when I first started and there was only Neko Kanochi.

*I do know a method that helps with those notes, but it still adds more notes than a casual user would want to be default.