My explainaion on recording lists for a new person

HixaiU

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
Theres a lot of talk about what recording list you should use and what you should be doing with them. This my little thing that i guess is useful idk I'm pretty bad with explaining things.

DISCLAIMER: I focus more on vocaloid recording lists these days and have now limited knowledge on newer lists but these are the ones that I myself have recorded while I was making UTAU banks. I also found that explaining what these terms mean were incredibly hard without going into detail and confusing people so I wrote it as if the reader has never touched UTAU I apologise for cringe.

CV (consonant vowel)

From my understanding this sort of bank uses the whole note to sing rather than parts of the note to blend. EG: |あ|か|り|. You can however "oto" blends in but it would be crossing the territory of VCV. This is the most beginner friendly type of recording list out there. It will also help you understand UTAU's otoing and theres no need to use anything put the stock standard otoing inside of UTAU itself.

EXAMPLE OF CV:
https://kiwi6.com/file/rq5hbx07sb (not my cover)

VCV (vowel consonant vowel)

This seems to be the standard go-to JP bank and can be confusing for recording due to the sheer amount of lists available. This bank tends to use vowel blending to instead of it being |あ|か|り|it will instead change to this |-あ|a か|a り|り- | this means that you get a flow between syllables rather then a harsh stop. Otoing this bank takes a long time you can however generate a useable oto from moresampler. I would suggest using setparam instead of the standard oto tools inside of UTAU.

EXAMPLE OF VCV:

VCCV English (vowel consonant consonant vowel)

This is paintedCZ's recording list. Its pretty hefty and can confuse newer people. My suggestion is to watch her videos to get the jist of it. it can take a long time to record and OTOing can be difficult for new users. This is probably a list I would say if you have had the experience with VCV for awhile that you can attempt. However, if your from another country other than US the list can be shortened due to dialect at your own risk. Personally, I took out a couple as AU accents are very different.

Example VCCV English:

Now those in the community who have been using anything else other than this please come add to this I want to add more but I have limited knowledge in other ones. Don't forget to explain it like its a new user!!

Sors

Local Guppie & UTAU Korean Advocate
Tutor
Defender of Defoko
One of the newer (well like 2012-2013) reclists is also CVVC (Consonant Vowel Vowel Consonant)

It's designed to be just as smooth as VCV while also reducing oto and recording time. While it has VCs, unlike english, it only uses the space between Vowel and Consonant for smooth transitions. Instead of being [あ] [か] [り] it gets split up with tiny notes making it [あ] [a k] [か] [a r] [り]. It's harder to oto due to the VCs but thanks to plugins, just as easy to use as VCV.