Korean ust's and Bank Recommendations

Thatguy 2nd

Ruko's Ruffians
Which banks are good?
Are most private?
How do you make a Korean ust? Is it similar to an English one?
When making a Korean ust, do I type in Hangul or Revised Roman?
Are there any good examples of Korean usts?
Is there a dedicated tutorial to making Korean usts or is it like English where the only tutorial step people recommend is "look at other peoples usts"? I've done this and I don't think its a super helpful.
How much Korean do I need to know to make a ust with no problem?

And please, when you do answer the "how to korean ust", dont have the answer be heavily example based. The same thing happened with VCCV English and none of the examples began to even cover the range or the intricacies of making/fitting/usage of VCCV english.

Thank you.
Edit: Also is this the right place to post? Im new here

Kiyoteru

UtaForum power user
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
The unfortunate answer to many questions is that there is no single standard for Korean voicebanks at the moment. Floating around the internet, you'll find many different banks that use many different reclists, and need USTs to be made in completely different ways. In general, though, voicebanks will be romanized. Because UTAU is a Japanese program, and because of issues with text encoding on Windows, you can't have Hangul. However, if you are doing things strictly Mac-only, then it's possible to use Hangul.

As for required knowledge, I would recommend that you're able to read Hangul and that you understand all the various sound change rules. When referencing lyrics, fanmade romanizations may not always be accurate. If you can read the original lyrics, you'll be able to accurately recreate what it's meant to sound like.

Reactions: kimchi-tan

kimchi-tan

Your local Mikotard
Global Mod
Defender of Defoko
Edit: Also is this the right place to post? Im new here
I moved your thread to a more appropriate thread, so don't worry~

Since Kiyoteru answered most of your questions, I'll showcase some Korean utau that I find lovely (although I don't have much experience using Korean utau so don't take much of my word for it)

Reactions: Kiyoteru

Thatguy 2nd

Ruko's Ruffians
Oh okay! This is a good start. Thanks for these. I hope to use them soon. By the way, I havent checked yet but does Korean VCV work like japanese? If so, what about the batchims?

수연 <Suyeon>

Your friendly neighborhood koreaboo trash
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
Korean VCV works like Japanese in theory - ofc tho in romaja - but it includes CVVC for the batchim. You would need to make a dictionary and convert through autocvvc. I have tried making Korean vcv reclists to little success (will keep trying tho!), so i would suggest cvvc if you want to make your own voicebanks (I have a resource for Korean: learning hangul, a reclist, and a sample of a beta test bank with the reclist).

I will note though... if you hope to make usts via vsq import (if you have vocaloid), you will have an easier time by using an English voice, making a romaja korean dictionary, and working from there. Unless you have access to a mac, UNI and SeeU's hangul will give out nothing but question marks and/or mojibake.