I've been trying to make originals lately. Any advice?

RaccoonButler

Founder of The Church of Mawarine Shuu
Defender of Defoko

These are in order of most recent to least btw. I'd like to know if there's any central issues with them, like are they too repetitive or stuff like that?
I kind of feel like the first and last ones are the most solid but I'm not completely sure about any of them. These I guess are just sort of practice on instrumentals and stuff, all were intended to have vocals in the end product.
The second one's piano is just a stand in for where the vocals would be.

Thank You

Reactions: Kiyoteru

WendytheCreeper

(>☉ ͡ヮ☉<)
Defender of Defoko
Hi hi.

I don't think your stuff is too repetitive. In fact, repetition is an important tool in making sure your music is memorable! I think a key thing you are doing really well with these song fetuses (that's a good term, gotta remember that one) is having a sense of direction: you are increasing and decreasing the song's energy and giving it a sense of going somewhere. I bring this up because, quite frankly, I think a lot of beginning P's have a lot of difficulty with energy and direction, so I think you are doing well in that department!

Overall, your song fetuses are very musically sound...the form is good and the instruments generally reinforce that. The musical content itself is pleasing to listen to. I think you should really pursue them!

If there's any advice in going on that I could give...remember to make a song you really love. Like, I can hear passion in your music right there; I want to hear your individual style and passion to your work in your music! Don't put out something you don't love unless you really have to!

RaccoonButler

Defender of Defoko
Hi hi.

I don't think your stuff is too repetitive. In fact, repetition is an important tool in making sure your music is memorable! I think a key thing you are doing really well with these song fetuses (that's a good term, gotta remember that one) is having a sense of direction: you are increasing and decreasing the song's energy and giving it a sense of going somewhere. I bring this up because, quite frankly, I think a lot of beginning P's have a lot of difficulty with energy and direction, so I think you are doing well in that department!

Overall, your song fetuses are very musically sound...the form is good and the instruments generally reinforce that. The musical content itself is pleasing to listen to. I think you should really pursue them!

If there's any advice in going on that I could give...remember to make a song you really love. Like, I can hear passion in your music right there; I want to hear your individual style and passion to your work in your music! Don't put out something you don't love unless you really have to!

Ah, thank you, I'm glad you think so. I try to make them seem structurally sound, so I'm glad that they don't seem to be all over the place and directionless. I thank you for your advice :uhuhu:

Wolfe Nebula

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
Okay, so the first one already sounds like a good song and is the length of a song I would listen to. It's catchy! I would love to see the finished product with the Utau or whatever synth you wish to use to sing. My only advice is that you don't rush the vocals, and maybe work your brain into the lyrics to make it flow well, let out some emotions into the lyrics too. Don't actually work your brain into it though because that would make a mess (it would also cause clinical death).

KNΞMΛTCS

Just an UtaForum user
Defender of Defoko
Let me give you some tips on general production. First off, learn how to make good chord progressions and melodies. You seem to have melodies down, so work on chord theory. Learn some theory if you haven't already. I know you're probably saying "I know all this already" but take a deeper look into it all; there's always more to learn here.
Learn your DAW inside out and upside down. Learn what every single knob, plugin and menu option does. Don't go hopping from one DAW to the next until you're experienced in your first one.
Learn how to operate a sidechain compressor, limiter, a your fx, and how to master. Once again, you probably think you know all this, but learn everything about mixing and mastering.
Focus on making songs, not masterpieces. When you're starting out, do everything you can to get complete songs out the door - it's better to have 5 decent songs than 1 amazing wip.
Music is an art, not a science. I speak from experience, it's very easy to get caught up in technical knowledge and knob turning and forget about the actual job of making music.
Most importantly, just stick with it. Right now it might be easy, however once you get your basic experience down you will hit a period of time where you'll lose your drive for music. When this happens, just keep working. It goes away with time. Many to-be producers become would-be ones during this phase.

You seem to be doing pretty good so far. you have good composition skills. Try to work on your mixing abilities, just don't let your composition skills slip away. Keep at it.

Reactions: Kiyoteru

RaccoonButler

Defender of Defoko
Okay, so the first one already sounds like a good song and is the length of a song I would listen to. It's catchy! I would love to see the finished product with the Utau or whatever synth you wish to use to sing. My only advice is that you don't rush the vocals, and maybe work your brain into the lyrics to make it flow well, let out some emotions into the lyrics too. Don't actually work your brain into it though because that would make a mess (it would also cause clinical death).

:u:; Oh dear- well I don't want that to happen lel. Thank you for the advice! I will try to take my time with the lyrics, because I have a bit of trouble writing things in a way that sound eloquent for a song
[doublepost=1483860348][/doublepost]
Let me give you some tips on general production. First off, learn how to make good chord progressions and melodies. You seem to have melodies down, so work on chord theory. Learn some theory if you haven't already. I know you're probably saying "I know all this already" but take a deeper look into it all; there's always more to learn here.
Learn your DAW inside out and upside down. Learn what every single knob, plugin and menu option does. Don't go hopping from one DAW to the next until you're experienced in your first one.
Learn how to operate a sidechain compressor, limiter, a your fx, and how to master. Once again, you probably think you know all this, but learn everything about mixing and mastering.
Focus on making songs, not masterpieces. When you're starting out, do everything you can to get complete songs out the door - it's better to have 5 decent songs than 1 amazing wip.
Music is an art, not a science. I speak from experience, it's very easy to get caught up in technical knowledge and knob turning and forget about the actual job of making music.
Most importantly, just stick with it. Right now it might be easy, however once you get your basic experience down you will hit a period of time where you'll lose your drive for music. When this happens, just keep working. It goes away with time. Many to-be producers become would-be ones during this phase.

You seem to be doing pretty good so far. you have good composition skills. Try to work on your mixing abilities, just don't let your composition skills slip away. Keep at it.

Ah, thank you for your words of wisdom ;u; I can't say that I really honestly do know a lot about music aside from the basics, so thank you! I have a tendency to only do little bursts of work, so I will keep working at it.