How would you feel if someone created derivative work with your song/cover without your permission?

kimchi-tan

Your local Mikotard
Global Mod
Defender of Defoko
Whether it's for a chorus or a weird crossover thing, how would you feel if your work was used without your permission?

Would you be okay with it or not? Are there specific circumstances that would make you okay with it (they credited you/linked back, the derivative work was well made, etc.)?

I tend to be upset that they didn't ask me directly first before using it but I can let it pass if they credited/linked back to me. I'd definitely be enraged and ask them to take it down if they didn't on the other hand.

Zephyr

Glitter and Death
Defender of Defoko
For covers only not actual songs-

I'd feel pretty indifferent to it?
Depends on how much effort i put into the cover as that varies greatly.
If its like- i worked for days on it- then i would like credit.
if its only something i threw together in a few hours, then w/e man. Use it- i don't care.
Unless its a private voicebank that im using in the cover thats being used- then i want it taken down.

Animé Fan

Head of the Shonen Academy
Defender of Defoko
Personally, I wouldn't like it if somebody ever did that at all, especially if they're unfamiliar with my works and UTAU. I'd only let those I genuinely trust use my UTAU for any works, but even they need my permission to use them.

Reactions: partial

Arissa

Ritsu's Renegades
Defender of Defoko
I certainly wouldn't like it, and I don't think many others would, especially if the person didn't even give credit. But if they did use any of my covers, and at least gave me credit, I wouldn't mind so much. But I would still tell them that they should've asked me first haha

fmccaddy12

Ritsu's Renegades
Defender of Defoko
Funny you mention that Kimchi :wink: :wink:
But honestly, I had this happen to me not too long ago. Under certain circumstances(i.e. someone coming to ask me if they could use my cover), I'd be ok with it. But not only did this person use my cover, without my permission mind you, they also used it to portray a fictional character in a sexual manner(big no-no for me). While I was a little unsettled by this all, I kindly told the user that I was uncomfortable with how my Utau's voice was being portrayed, and that they should probably ask users to use their covers before making things as such.
Unfortunately this user is still making videos of the sort, so I have no other choice but to move on...

tl;dr Ask users to use their covers for things before taking them, and make sure it's appropriate for the Utau used....

P

partial

I absolutely wouldn't be ok with it.

For one, I don't like fanloids or pitchloids or whatever you want to call them. So if that were to happen with one of my covers, yeah, I'd be annoyed!

But if it happened with an utau work, I would probably be even more annoyed, because- it's free. If you have to make a pitchloid or something with an utau cover, you know, you can....download the voicebank, and play with flags itself instead of being lazy and just changing the pitch of the entire thing. Because when I hear a song in a certain pitch over and over, to have it changed makes me feel like something's wrong.

But in the case of pitching covers or voicebanks, I think they need to get permission from the original cover uploader/the voicebank creator, or, in terms of voicebanks, at least check the terms of use.

Kitcat190

Defoko's Slaves
Defender of Defoko
I experience a lot of users taking covers I have done or covers others have done with my UTAU and putting them in a chorus. Something like this for example:

I personally don't mind this being done, as long as credit is given towards the original cover. And as long as it's not against the UTAU permission or the cover's permission. Many users enjoy doing this because they dont have access to things, ex. the vocal synth programs, daws, etc.

In the case of taking banks and or covers and re-pitching. I don't like this. I've had a user take my bank and repitch it and claim it as their own and this is just a big nono.

Reactions: mallowkey

Kiyoteru

UtaForum power user
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
I've had my originals reprinted a couple times, and while it felt uncomfortable, I let one of them go because they were obviously trying to promote me in their compilation video. The other case involved someone just taking a song from my SC and putting it straight to their YT, when I had planned to make a YT upload on my own channel. I had that one taken down.
Generally I'd rather that people let me know about these kinds of things, but if they don't, credit is appreciated.
When it comes to an UTAU, though, the reason I release it is precisely so that people are able to use it at their will. As long as they're following the terms of use I'm fine, it's not like you have to ask me before you make something with it. This is how I think most people feel.

I remember reading Ghost's rules for the usage of their songs, and one of the terms was not to do a crossover with a popular fandom. The reasoning behind it was because the song would grow to become associated with the popular fandom instead of properly standing on its own as an original work. That's never happened to me, but I want the same. Unless I'm intentionally making a fansong, I want my work to be, well, mine.

baye

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
To be honest, a similar thing has happened to me. A well known UTAU user back when asked if they could use my original song's off-vocal to make a cover. I agreed, but it ended up having a lot of sexual content in it and I was really not comfortable with it; leading to me never releasing my own full version of the song. That was part of the reason I left the community for a while.

Sors

Local Guppie & UTAU Korean Advocate
Tutor
Defender of Defoko
That'd definitely depend on the situation. If it would be used in a chorus, i wouldn't mind. Not even without credit, tho credit would be nice. If it's used for a derivative character (e.g. genderbend...), i wouldn't mind it either, tho again, credit'd be nice.

What I wouldn't like however, would be if someone claimed it was their cover, or even their utau. That is just not okay. Why would anyone do that anyways? UTAU is free, and you can make your own UTAU so easy...even without a 100$ mic, it can sound good...but I'm going off-topic here.

I'm okay with reprints, as long as there's credit. Same goes with using the cover as background music in a video.

I mean, as long as your credited for your work (original or cover), the main point is, that you're credited.

-------------------------

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
Recently I came across a user on youtube using one of my utau's old voicebanks and made a derivative out of her voicebank, I didn't mind at first but I felt pretty salty later when I found out that they didn't leave any credit and also taking credit for her old voicebank as well. :annoyed:

OnegaiKudasai

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
I've had people cover my songs (well, actually two people so far), and I'm really glad that they asked permission to cover those!

That being said, I'd prefer it if they asked for permission and credited me in their work. It might sound a bit too much, but with that:
1) I get to actually listen/watch their own versions
2) I can share them on my social media and friends
3) I still get some, even if a bit, of attention to my works (because of the credit)

Of course there are no-nos, but it hasn't happened yet (if it will)

As for UTAUs, well... I haven't made a complete one but if I did have one then I wouldn't really want to have derivatives of it

ReticentResolve

Ancient Master of Filibustering
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
I probably wouldn't care so long as they didn't give credit to someone else, or imply that they did it themselves. Then I'd get kind of pissed.

Kazumimi

Ritsu's Renegades
Defender of Defoko
The way I feel about this really varies depending on the type of work and the situation.

I had someone use my cover for their livestream once, and was rather... disappointed that they didn't ask me for permission first. However, there were three reasons why I wouldn't necessarily be upset about it. 1.) My cover was uploaded on NicoNico and at the time I wrote all of my descriptions in English (my Japanese wasn't good at the time) so if they didn't speak English, there was no way for them to know I had contact info. 2.)Their livestreams were made private after it had aired. 3.) They'd registered their stream as a derivative of mine through Nico's content tree.

For me, it'd also depend on how much of my cover was used and what it was used for. I'm not gonna care so much about a livestream since people probably aren't gonna go there to listen to my cover, but if my cover was used without permission in a compilation or chorus, then I may have to ask the uploader to remove my cover from their video. (But really this is a case-by-case basis, and I'd probably turn a blind eye to a chorus so long as I'm credited.)

However, taking a cover and pitching it is an absolute "no-no" from me. Because it isn't fair for someone to gain views from my hard work just because they pitched it for a fanloid or something. Same with nightcores or whatever this new "glow" video trend is.

Reprinting would have to be handled on a case-by-case basis. If someone was going to reprint something I did (whether it be a cover or an original), they'd absolutely need my permission first.

Also, since it came up and I think it's interesting... if someone wanted to use something I did in a crossover thing with another fandom it would really have to be handled on a case-by-case basis because there are some fandoms I wouldn't mind my stuff being showcased in, but there are others I would not want it associated with.

(Sorry for the long post! I had a lot more to say than I thought, haha.)

Reactions: Aeroza