How old were you when you found UTAU and Vocaloid?

Shibaru 101

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
Is it weird that me and my sister found UTAU first? It was 2012(?). My sister is 7 and I was 14 at that time. We tried to make our own but we don't understand how UTAU works. So we gave up. We discovered VOCALOID two years later.

I am 18 and my sister is 11 now.

kimchi-tan

Your local Mikotard
Global Mod
Defender of Defoko
This is turning more of a "How did you find out about Vocaloid and UTAU" rather than "How old were you when you found UTAU and Vocaloid?" :/ Oh well.

I'm not too sure how old I was when I heard about Vocaloid. Maybe around 11 to 12? I'd see Miku in some recommended videos' thumbnails and watched World is Mine a couple times (the PV and concert). I didn't actually get into Vocaloid until around the end of 2012 (I was 13) when I also found out about Teto/UTAU through Triple Baka.

I first downloaded UTAU when I was 13 but didn't actually use it until half a year later when I was 14 since I was really confused on how to use it until I got some more resolve :uhuhu:

Hentai

Technical Admin
Administrator
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
I was first exposed to Vocaloid in 2008-ish but I didn't get into Vocaloid/UTAU until 2010 when I met I'llSeeU-P at college.

I was certainly exposed to Vocaloid but I didn't start interacting with the community till 2010. From there things moved fast, I took part in the ResoNation collab and by August I had voiced Otakune Weeaboo and things just rolled downhill from there.

unknownLinguist

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
I think I was.. 13, that was in 2012. I had known about vocaloid already, but didn't really check it out until one of my friends said they loved it, then I wondered how vocaloids are made, which lead me to UTAU tutorials, and I was hooked!

Reactions: HIRATELIER

Aura Autumnus

Ritsu's Renegades
Defender of Defoko
I was 1like 16 or 17 the first time, because I was looking for a program to make my voice sound robotic, but I was told to try this instead. It was pure mojibake, something I didn't know then, so I removed it. Later on, when I was 20, I was studying in college and I already knew about phonetics and phonology when I found it again. Then I realized what it was about.

Maybe2Morrow

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
I was 11 and went to Otaku club. Somebody had an UTAU // shoot.

Many of my OCs was inspired by Vocaloid and UTAUs lol...
Some even became UTAUs

FelineWasteland

Feral Catboy
Defender of Defoko
I was around eleven or twelve, I think. I was definitly twelve when I first tried to use it, but it didn't really work on my computer at the time [it was REALLY old]. Because of the software issue, I wasn't able to actually use the software until I was fourteen, which puts me at... five years of usage. Wow.

Jay0nez

Teto's Territory
I discovered VOCALOID when I was 12. A year later, I found UTAU through Triple Baka. So... yeah.

palette

Teto's Territory
It's a little fuzzy but I'm pretty sure I saw a Miku clip with Rin and Len on YT in late 2008/early 2009 (I was 13 at the time) and looked them up because I thought it was an anime. VOCALOID and UTAU became my main fandom until 2012 when I slowly drifted away for a bit but I'm back now ^^.

fiver

Teto's Territory
I was around 12 when I found VOCALOID, and I found UTAU a little while later through trying to find free VOCALOIDs haha.

hopeandjoy

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
12-13 when I found Vocaloid, 13 when I started UTAU. I remember planning voicebanks in middle school choir practice haha.

And now I'm 2o. ...I'm not ready to accept I've been doing this for 7 years.

VocAddict

The Voice Within Us
Defender of Defoko
So...

I discovered Vocaloid 2012 with Melt when I was looking for the Death Note opening. I'll admit I was looking for Vocaloid anime for a while but I grew out of that pretty quickly with all the research I did and my friend filled in the rest (stupid idiot who could have introduced me sooner lol)

I discovered UTAU the same day with Triple Baka. I did know that Teto and Neru weren't Vocaloids but there was that time I thought Neru the Vocaloid was voiced by Neru the producer. oh what weeb times I had.. I miss them so much lol

But I didn't really start using UTAU until January of 2015 and didn't attempt recording my own until January of this year.

dezzydream

cv bank enthusiast
Defender of Defoko
So...
I did know that Teto and Neru weren't Vocaloids but there was that time I thought Neru the Vocaloid was voiced by Neru the producer. oh what weeb times I had.. I miss them so much lol
I was so weeby, I thought Tokyo Teddy Bear(my first Neru song) was actually written by Akita Neru. I can't believe how stupid I was.

My story.
I found Vocaloid when I was in 3rd grade, and I was obsessed with the newly-announced SeeU. I loved her songs(I'm guilty of listening only to either her demos or songs by Ga Gain.). Her hair was my favourite thing ever, and I loved I=Fantasy and RUN so much.

I started listening to UTAU and creating cringy fanloids(that would later evolve into UTAUs) in 4th grade. I really liked Sukone Tei, so I drew her with my fanloid Midorine Pinku(who had a different, more Miku design then).

5th grade was a grey area for me. I got out of Vocaloid and into ponies instead.

6th grade was when I got back into Vocaloid. I had a friend who went to Miku Expo and I was so jealous. This is when I started changing my fanloid designs to make them into actual UTAUs. I started doing actual art at this stage as well.

I made my first UTAU voicebank in 7th grade. I looked up a video on how to do it, and Kiseki Noke was born. Later in the year, I remastered her. I was planning to do a power voicebank, but she didn't sound much different. So I called her a V2.

Now, 8th grade. I have no idea what I'm doing and I'm just waiting for my dA note from the UTAU Secret Santa thing to come in and tell me who I'm matched with. Well, I have gotten much better at mixing. My old mixing was horrible, but I can make UTAU sound at least half decent now.

So yeah. That is my life in the Vocaloid and UTAU community up until now.

Last edited:

LilyoftheValley

Your local flower girl
Defender of Defoko
This is so cringy ahh

I discovered Vocaloid when I was 13. I saw a video of Miku on YouTube and thought it was an anime. I later went on to be obsessed with Vocaloid and do vocaloid RP.

I then created mixes of Vocaloid songs on YouTube when I was 15. While searching for a song I found an UTAU cover. I used her cover in a mix and we later became friends. She showed me how to make a voicebank. I made my first voicebank when I was 16. And that's where it all began.