Fan utauloids (aka: illegal), your thoughts?

TakeruInudo

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
I don't know too much about this sort of thing, just that mainly you really shouldn't make them without the voice owners permission &/or redistribute them. I was just curious about everyone's thoughts on this, personally I think it's neat, so long as it's not abused, but all that work they must have put in ;~; I mean I know you really can't have your words really short (so normal talking or scripts are gonna be hard to copy words off from there), and when they get them from songs, I just can't imagine the stress on trying to fix it up to make it sound decent.

So far Ive seen Stitch, Lady GaGa, Mario, Googlepoid (google translator), Norman Jayden, Professor Genki, Beiberloid, Malak Shah.

For all those people who have done this and have made a decent VB out of them, I salute you cause even if I wanted to I could never be able to do it :'D waaaay to hard for me, and to those who try to abuse it, the shaaaame you carry.

lol, ok I'm done now. :P

WendytheCreeper

(>☉ ͡ヮ☉<)
Defender of Defoko
You know, I remember the Hetaloids. They were either UTAU vbs or otherwise manual Vocaloid created from the voices of the characters from Hetalia. Some were better than others; I could remember China sounding quite nice and so did France! I can also remember one out there that took Pingu's "noot" noises too.

Sadly, I can't condone the behavior since it's against the rules. However, I tend to keep it to myself rather than be a white knight about it.

OMGPingu

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
You know, I remember the Hetaloids. They were either UTAU vbs or otherwise manual Vocaloid created from the voices of the characters from Hetalia. Some were better than others; I could remember China sounding quite nice and so did France! I can also remember one out there that took Pingu's "noot" noises too.

Sadly, I can't condone the behavior since it's against the rules. However, I tend to keep it to myself rather than be a white knight about it.
Yes, there is the Pingu UTAUloid! (Obviously that's my favourite illegal utauloid cx)
I found somewhere that there was a Selenaloid.

orahi_shiro

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
I remember that once I saw a "DORAROID" (Doraemon) and a "DONAROID" (McDonald's mascot/clown). And they had pretty nice voices but, as UTAU has this "don't do and distribute voice banks done with other people's material without consent" clause in its EULA, they are illegal as you've said.

In conclussion, some of them are really well done and maybe in a future their real voicers see this and want to make a bank. (?)

Lorreine Geralde

lorreinegeralde@IRIS-SELECIA
Retired User
Defender of Defoko
All I remembered is I have once seen a webpage/blog post (I forgot about it OTL) where someone made an UTAU voicebank using Utada Hikaru's voice. :/

TakeruInudo

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
If I was skillful I would make an utauloid of Izaya Orihara :'D of course I would never redistribute it obviously, but that would be amazing to haaave~~

FelineWasteland

Feral Catboy
Defender of Defoko
I personally don't have a problem with them being made for fun and not being distributed as legit VBs, but they are against the usage policy, so I don't really want to encourage their production.

IMO, seems like a lot of work, sampling all of those files for something you're not really supposed to make and can't really benefit from

Reactions: Lorreine Geralde

DraygonChan

Teto's Territory
Personally, I tried to make one of those "just cause" and not for any sort of distribution, but I failed. Horribly. As long as they aren't being thrown out there for download, being monetized, or anything of the sort, I suppose I'm okay with it.

Mametchi

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
Always figured that the "Don't use other people's voices without their consent" bit of the EULA was to cover Ameya's legal behind in case anyone did anything stupid. Just like "Yo, I didn't want them to do this, I'm not responsible." Because it's not really something you can do anything about in the long run.

Besides that, I don't really care for them, they just sound iffy due to the nature of their samples.

Reactions: Agentzap0

수연 <Suyeon>

Your friendly neighborhood koreaboo trash
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
I'm against it (though I guiltily admit to liking the Michael Jackson attempt). The most legal avenue is - of course - obtaining permission and in the case of deceased vocalists, the best course of action would be their estate giving consent to use of Revivos (Selena Quintanilla Perez' voice recordings have been given by her family and i'm sure Michael Jackson's will follow the same route) or at the very least Vocaloid (hide of X Japan). Another legal avenue is to make a character inspired by the real person and find a voice that's close to the real deal (without actually taking the real deal's recordings). At least in that case, you're not risking breaking not only TOU, but also the law (bottom line, you shouldn't use recordings without legal permission (in the music industry, this includes paying fees) - esp. outside of the intended purpose).

Reactions: Lorreine Geralde