Does anyone else like visual novels?

VocAddict

The Voice Within Us
Defender of Defoko
Are there any differences in terms of content between the original and the English localisation for Umineko?

P

partial

But there is an added index in the English translation, as some Japanese terms are kept in translation, so they did provide a glossary that updates automatically as you encounter such words.

Reactions: VocAddict
P

partial

@VocAddict I just realized you can read/are learning Japanese?

I forgot to mention, Umineko comes with both the translated English text and the original Japanese text, which you may switch from at any time in-game. If I remember correctly it asks you at the very beginning which language you would prefer, as well.

It also features updated artwork - Pachinko sprites - and the choice to switch to Ryukishi's original artwork at any time. (Though note that he is not an artist, so most do not like his sprites!)

VocAddict

The Voice Within Us
Defender of Defoko
I've never read Steins:Gate but I've heavily considered trying it. Is it decent?
It's good, though I never got around to finishing it due to time and other factors. But it's a great sci-fi, mystery, adventure novel. To tell you how much I want to finish the visual novel, I haven't watched the manga or the anime since so I won't spoil myself.

@VocAddict I just realized you can read/are learning Japanese?

I forgot to mention, Umineko comes with both the translated English text and the original Japanese text, which you may switch from at any time in-game. If I remember correctly it asks you at the very beginning which language you would prefer, as well.

It also features updated artwork - Pachinko sprites - and the choice to switch to Ryukishi's original artwork at any time. (Though note that he is not an artist, so most do not like his sprites!)
Yeah, I'm currently learning. It won't be sufficient enough at this stage for me to go through a novel in full Japanese, but it might help me learn.

So, it's dual language, and I get to change sprites? I think my life is complete.

P

partial

Yeah, I'm currently learning. It won't be sufficient enough at this stage for me to go through a novel in full Japanese, but it might help me learn.

So, it's dual language, and I get to change sprites? I think my life is complete.
I have heard from my friends that Umineko is an incredibly difficult text to read in Japanese, and even native speakers can have difficulty.

But yeah, you can swap between Ryukishi's sprites and the Pachinko sprites, as well as English or Japanese text, at any time, and you won't have to restart the novel to see these changes applied. There's no voice acting though, at least not for any form of Umineko outside of the PS3 games, which are exclusively Japanese. But there's a PS3-ified patch for the Steam game, it patches it with PS3 art and voices, or so I've heard? (People into Umineko literally treat the PS3 version like it's god or something - which I don't quite get. I think the original, Steam, and PS3 art all have their own strengths. I think the main bonus is voice acting?)

VocAddict

The Voice Within Us
Defender of Defoko
I have heard from my friends that Umineko is an incredibly difficult text to read in Japanese, and even native speakers can have difficulty.

But yeah, you can swap between Ryukishi's sprites and the Pachinko sprites, as well as English or Japanese text, at any time, and you won't have to restart the novel to see these changes applied. There's no voice acting though, at least not for any form of Umineko outside of the PS3 games, which are exclusively Japanese. But there's a PS3-ified patch for the Steam game, it patches it with PS3 art and voices, or so I've heard? (People into Umineko literally treat the PS3 version like it's god or something - which I don't quite get. I think the original, Steam, and PS3 art all have their own strengths. I think the main bonus is voice acting?)
Yeah. I saw that in a few threads as well. Well, I'm still glad it's dual text. More fun for me lol.

Haha. Well, the PS3 art looks a bit more... colourful for a lack of a better word. And some people like better art so it's understandable if they want to patch it. And as for voices, voices make everything better in my opinion. Like, it's nice to hear voices as you read along with the text.

P

partial

Yeah. I saw that in a few threads as well. Well, I'm still glad it's dual text. More fun for me lol.

Haha. Well, the PS3 art looks a bit more... colourful for a lack of a better word. And some people like better art so it's understandable if they want to patch it. And as for voices, voices make everything better in my opinion. Like, it's nice to hear voices as you read along with the text.
It is nice to hear voices, definitely - especially for the Answer Arcs (not on Steam yet), as they never received an anime and my favorite character is only in that half.

Reactions: VocAddict
P

partial

What visual novels have y'all read, or reading, if any?

I've read Umineko (and it's second half, Umineko Chiru), I've also finished Forgotten, Not Lost. I'm currently reading Root Double.

On the back burner (meaning, planning on reading and/or picking up again) is:
-Higurashi
-The Agency: Chapter 1
-Corpse Party
-Dysfunctional Systems: Learning to Manage Chaos
-the fault series
-highway blossoms
-If My Heart Had Wings

And....the 50+ other visual novels I've purchased but not gotten around to actually reading.

VocAddict

The Voice Within Us
Defender of Defoko
Well, let's see.

I'm currently reading Umineko.

I finished
-Red Shift
-Hoshizora no Memoria -Wish upon a Shooting Star- (don't remember much lol)
-Steins;Gate (same as above)
-Wander no More
-Cinderella's Phenomenon (one game)
-Late Shift (do we consider this a VN?)
-Diamond Rose
-Max Massacre

I've started a good bit of others but never got around to finishing them like
-Sakura Angels
-Rewrite
-I/O
-Homeward
-Tokyo School Life
-Sickness (only played the demo)
-Never 7: The End of Infinity

I've got a lot more on my "to-get" list (lile Fate/Stay Night) but there's other games I'll like to play first.

Reactions: partial

mado

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
Might as well post a few VNs I've read here too LMAO
Most of them are OELVNs (original English-language visual novels)

Katawa Shoujo (the demo anyways)
Most of nomnomnami's visual novels (notably Spooky Halloween Soiree, Tunnel Vision and Syrup and the Ultimate Sweet)
Analogue: A Hate Story (the demo)
Liar Liar and it's sequel (which is currently getting a remake)
Re: Alistair++

I've read the manga version of Umineko up to the end of episode 2. I REALLY need to catch up bc Umineko is really good. I've read a little bit of Higurashi too.

I also develop visual novels myself!

I currently have one released. It's about cute magical girls, and it was done for a game jam.

kimchi-tan

Your local Mikotard
Global Mod
Defender of Defoko
I can't believe no one mentioned Ace Attorney yet?? While I am a fan of romance manga/webcomics, romance visual novels (which are the majority of visual novels) aren't my thing since I don't like the idea of "conquering" all the love interests especially since I loathe harems and reverse harems but Ace Attorney is that one visual novel game that hits with me. It has a good balance of comedy and drama, the characters are wacky and memorable, and the flow and intricacy of the cases keep me on the edge every time X)

Yinitara

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
999 (Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors)/The Zero Escape Trilogy are pretty awesome visual novels! Idk if someone has mentioned them before but its basically an adventure/escape game visual novel. In the first game you're trapped on a boat (?) with 8 other people and you have to try and escape/survive by solving puzzles to ultimately open a series of doors. The game mechanics forces the group to split up in order to unlock and go through certain doors, and your choices impact the ending you'll get. The only problem with it is that it gets annoying when you have to replay the game and re-do the puzzles (even though you can skip through the story segments after your first play through).

in other words if the story is pretty cool i'm down w visual novels mmmm

SparkyPsychc

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
Umineko seems interesting, cuz i like mysterieees -3-
I only played Ace attorney, 999, and other random vn.
I wanna play Umineko, Higurashi, and maany others...
Only if i got money...
Oh well.