Best free video editor?

WretchedKalamity

Ritsu's Renegades
Defender of Defoko
So, the program I use currently (videopad) expired and I can't use it anymore, so I need an alternative that's free. movie maker just isn't cutting it for me, and I really want to still be able to make good videos.

So uh... any sugestions? I'm kinda sweating over here dead from having nothing to work with.

Nanika

Lame Vocaloid Producer
Defender of Defoko
I use aviutil, but it's a little hard to use. You can do lots of stuff, but it's hard to master. I'd suggest looking at tutorials. It's free, of course.

na4a4a

Outwardly Opinionated and Harshly Critical
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
for easy, Serif movieplus starter.
you may need to convert some files around as the free version doesn't open them all.

P

partial

Why not try Lightworks?

As far as I know, it's a commercial program with a free version. The free version is limited as far as export options and such, but hey.
You'll probably have to register to download it. I can't remember if I had to or not, it's been so long.

JVウタウ

Ruko's Ruffians
Defender of Defoko
OMG VIDEO EDITING STUFF //shot

I have not finished a PV before, but that's because I never get content with my work. I do have a lot of practice though!

For NLEs (think Adobe Premiere replacement) I'd definitely recommend either Lightworks or DaVinci Resolve. Both are commercial programs with free versions. Lightworks is what I usually use for video assembly, and it's fast, stable, fast, pretty, fast, flexible, did I say fast? The free version is limited to 720P though, and you need to log in to your account every 7 days to renew your free license, but it's worth it for me. Resolve is limited to 4K (which isn't limited to me at all!), but if your PC isn't top-spec, I wouldn't recommend it for regular use since it uses up a lot of resources.

For compositing programs (suuuper useful for making advanced PVs) , my #1 is Blackmagic Fusion 7. Some say Fusion is more advanced than After Effects due to its node system, advanced 3D rendering features and flexibility, and I'm glad it's now for free, provided you don't need studio collaboration features and stuff like that. I used it to animate this thing for school: (sorry it's in 480P, I uploaded it as a preview and quality didn't matter at the time)

Another compositing program to consider is aviutl, fairly popular in the vocal synth community and kyaami uses it for some stuff.

The above definitely have a learning curve though. But I think it's worth it, and I'd rather use any of those over most of the other free video editors, some of which are so limited and give you ads for the full version that I'd rather use Movie Maker.

Good luck!

Reactions: Kiyoteru

WretchedKalamity

Ritsu's Renegades
Defender of Defoko
OMG VIDEO EDITING STUFF //shot

I have not finished a PV before, but that's because I never get content with my work. I do have a lot of practice though!

For NLEs (think Adobe Premiere replacement) I'd definitely recommend either Lightworks or DaVinci Resolve. Both are commercial programs with free versions. Lightworks is what I usually use for video assembly, and it's fast, stable, fast, pretty, fast, flexible, did I say fast? The free version is limited to 720P though, and you need to log in to your account every 7 days to renew your free license, but it's worth it for me. Resolve is limited to 4K (which isn't limited to me at all!), but if your PC isn't top-spec, I wouldn't recommend it for regular use since it uses up a lot of resources.

For compositing programs (suuuper useful for making advanced PVs) , my #1 is Blackmagic Fusion 7. Some say Fusion is more advanced than After Effects due to its node system, advanced 3D rendering features and flexibility, and I'm glad it's now for free, provided you don't need studio collaboration features and stuff like that. I used it to animate this thing for school: (sorry it's in 480P, I uploaded it as a preview and quality didn't matter at the time)

Another compositing program to consider is aviutl, fairly popular in the vocal synth community and kyaami uses it for some stuff.

The above definitely have a learning curve though. But I think it's worth it, and I'd rather use any of those over most of the other free video editors, some of which are so limited and give you ads for the full version that I'd rather use Movie Maker.

Good luck!

Thank you very much! I've actually bought a program on the limb (videopad professional) but it seems to be... odd compared to what I expected and is much less, so I've gone with Da vinci! It seems perfect for me, thank you so much for this recommendation!

Reactions: JVウタウ