Basic sounds enough for a voice bank?

Diongoespew!

eldritch horror
Defender of Defoko
So I'm recording my voice bank for my first ever UTAUloid and I'm not exactly sure which reclist to use? I'm going simple with a cv. I was wondering would using the sounds listed here be enough or would I have to do something more elaborate like this?

Arissa

Ritsu's Renegades
Defender of Defoko
The basic sounds in the hiragana chart ought to be enough(a, ka, kyo), unless you want to include some extra samples for English support(ti, va, tsi).

heta-tan

Genderless Goon
Global Mod
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
If you're using oremo to record, you can use the reclist that comes with it. Oremo is a recording program that automatically saves files to your voicebank folder and shows you what sounds you're recording. A lot of people use it because it's really fast and easy
You can read about how to use it/find the links to it here: http://utaforum.net/resources/a-guide-to-using-oremo.12/

Otherwise you can just use the hiragana sounds, most of the extra sounds in the reclist you linked to would only be used for engrish/maybe latin based languages, which I'm not sure you'll be using?

Good luck with your first bank, I hope to hear it soon!

Reactions: Kiyoteru

Diongoespew!

eldritch horror
Defender of Defoko
If you're using oremo to record, you can use the reclist that comes with it. Oremo is a recording program that automatically saves files to your voicebank folder and shows you what sounds you're recording. A lot of people use it because it's really fast and easy
You can read about how to use it/find the links to it here: http://utaforum.net/resources/a-guide-to-using-oremo.12/

Otherwise you can just use the hiragana sounds, most of the extra sounds in the reclist you linked to would only be used for engrish/maybe latin based languages, which I'm not sure you'll be using?

Good luck with your first bank, I hope to hear it soon!
My computer wont run that program unfortunetly T-T and thanks!

PeriodicalUtau

Retired User
Retired User
If you want a reclist that is pretty basic to use, there's a cv one that the R4P has used for a while if you want it. It's got a lot of extra stuff for transitional stuff (i.e. vowel-vowel and n-vowel ones so it's almost a vcv but not at all XD)
Edit:
It also works with plug-and-play compatibility if you're not wanting to oto at first!

PeriodicalUtau

Retired User
Retired User
I was more meaning the whole "plug and play compatibility if you don't want to oto first" thing. Is there a base oto or something? Haha
no, the sounds are separated by recording. So instead of having all of the vowels together in one recording , they're all separated in their individual recordings. This way utau doesn't need an oto for it to function properly. The oto tells utau what to use within the recording but if it's using the entire recording there's no need for one.

good question tho

Reactions: partial

Kiyoteru

UtaForum power user
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
no, the sounds are separated by recording. So instead of having all of the vowels together in one recording , they're all separated in their individual recordings. This way utau doesn't need an oto for it to function properly. The oto tells utau what to use within the recording but if it's using the entire recording there's no need for one.

good question tho
This is how basic CV banks are recorded. Without an OTO the timing will still be wrong.

PeriodicalUtau

Retired User
Retired User
This is how basic CV banks are recorded. Without an OTO the timing will still be wrong.
true, but they were asking about a basic bank. Technically, if you record them with absolutely no blank sound it'll be on-time though...? (We've never had this problem with the reclist, it's always been on time.)

Reactions: partial

수연 <Suyeon>

Your friendly neighborhood koreaboo trash
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
I recommend using this as reference for what you need in a standard Japanese voicebank - this can be used for any kind of recording situation: http://utaforum.net/resources/what-to-look-for-in-a-japanese-reclist-and-what-to-avoid.170/

The green and light green are a must, but for the yellow portion, you can get away with skipping the following:
- つぁ つぃ つぇ つぉ --- tsa tsi tse tso
- ふゅ --- fyu
- てゅ --- tyu
- でゅ --- dyu

Anecdotal use is anecdotal, but I personally haven't run across these sounds in USTs.
[doublepost=1509330839][/doublepost]
true, but they were asking about a basic bank. Technically, if you record them with absolutely no blank sound it'll be on-time though...? (We've never had this problem with the reclist, it's always been on time.)

A bank recorded in that method will sound very choppy. If you don't want choppy/artificial sounding results, then otoing will be a PITA cause you'll be relying largely on trial and error with negative overlap values. Have you ever tried smoothing the oto of Defoko (the stock one that comes with UTAU)? Negative overlaps aren't very fun.

Last edited:

WinterdrivE

Ritsu's Renegades
Defender of Defoko
With no silence will be closer than with silence, but it still won't be in-time. The reason is twofold:

the main reason is that in singing, how we percieve and produce the beginning of a note isn't with the consonant, but with the vowel. that is to say, where the vowel starts is where the note starts. So if you don't set the oto, the consonant will be at the beginning of the note, making the vowel, and thus how the note is percieved, late.

Also its because without setting the oto, the consonant will get stretched out on longer notes, further exacerbating the problem above in addition to just not sounding pleasant in general.