Tutorial AviUtl Basics tutorial

UtaUtaUtau

Teto's Territory
Defender of Defoko
This is part 1 btw
So for such a long time, I finally decided to make a basic tutorial for AviUtl. The thing is, this might be incomplete, but you can ask me for help! I do not know some other things in AviUtl so, pardon me uwu

Also, here's the latest known version made be Maverick Tse, (he translates it into English <3) AviUtl 1.14 (has extras too!)

Preparation
So when you open AviUtl, you might see this:
4b2242bbfa.png

And you're like, how do I start a project? So you press File and you don't see "New". Because you need to right click in the Adv.Edit window and press "Create a New Project"!

In there you see that you can customize the Video Size (idk why it's called Image size) the Frame Rate (YES THE FRAMERATE/FPS) and the Audio rate. My normal settings are 1280 x 720, 60 FPS.

And from that, you get progress! You can basically drag and drop image and audio files in the Adv.Edit window to import what you need.

The Toolbar
So, these are the contents of the toolbar.
0b41bf2924.png

I'm gonna explain the File further in this part and the Windows apart so I'll explain the others first.
Filters are obviously Filters. You can enable it in the Tool Window which I will explain later.
Filter+ are the options of the Filter, so if you were finding the options of the Filter, enable it in Filter+. But like the Filters, it has a Filter+ button in the Tool Window.
Edit is basically the edits that you can do like copying, pasting, adding midpoints (will explain later) etc.
Profile saves your options if I recall correctly.
Info is basically information for your plugins and stuff.

So now, the File tab. I'm just gonna number it for easier explanation.
3251035ae9.png

1. Open - It's more of an import. It imports the available extensions and makes it your background video.
  2. Close - Cancels the project. NOTE: It doesn't say "Are you sure you want to quit?" so be cautious.
  3. Append - Adds in a new video at the end of the recently imported video using open.
  4. Import Audio - Imports audio...
  5. [Project] Open - Opens a project file. If you're using Audacity, you'll kinda get the icon of Audacity on the file itself because it has the same extension with Audacity Project Files (.aup). You can also drag and drop .aup files.
  6. [Project] Save New - It's like a Save As in Photoshop or any kind of image editing software. It saves .aup files but allows you to save in another directory when there is a recent save.
  7. [Project] Overwrite - Overwrites the project...
  8. Export as Avi - I do not recommend exporting a video in AVI format. But it exports the project into an AVI. That's why it's AviUtl... AVI Utilities...
  9. Export as WAV - Exports pure audio in a WAV format (apparently AviUtl really likes big files)
  10. Export with Plugin - Exports the project in using a plugin which enables you to either render it as a GIF, MP4, and any other video file. (I'll be teaching you how to export MP4s using this method later)
  11. Batch Export - I think it exports several AviUtl project files at once but still in AVI format.
  12. Abort Export - Stops the AVI export when still ongoing.
  13. EXIT - Obvious... Atl + F4 in the File tab.

The Window Tab

I'm gonna explain this like the File tab but with the other windows that are available
b9e6562233.png

igotlazywithnumberingbutit'sjustfromtoptobottomanyways

1. Magnification - This acts as a Zoom Tool. It uses percentage and also your Window Size. As I know, it plays the video the fastest when it's in the smallest option. There's also a Zoom in and out option
  2. Show Waveform - Shows the Waveform at the bottom of the Video window.
  3. Show Time - Adds a timestamp at the bottom while the project is played
  4. Preview while Saving - ... Plays the video back while saving
  5. Show Datarate while Saving - Shows the data which I do not know because I haven't enabled this option (sorry)
I don't know what the Hints are so I can not explain it uwu

Now for the other windows.
Playback Window:
337b6a7b86.png

It's just a window with a Play, Pause and Stop button
Tool Window:
318d854e76.png

So, you can see checkboxes here, right? Those are the Filters. And you can enable them just right there.
The Filter+ buttons show the options of the Filter.
The dropdowns indicate their purpose uwu. I don't know about the Top > Bottom one though. I thought it was the arrangement of layers but it didn't really change them.
I don't know about the buttons at the top too except for the x1 - x4 buttons. It's basically the magnification option too.

Histogram:
5319942d41.png

It shows the amount or Red Green and Blue or something. I don't know how histograms work :v

Unfortunately, I don't know what Chapter Editing is because I never use it

The Adv.Edit Window a.k.a. Advanced Editing
The part that you've been waiting for! Using this window!
890f4a227b.png

Yea, this is where the magic happens.
Note: An object that is below the top layer/s go on the top of the object in the top layer/s.

Before exploring the objects we're gonna explain the window itself first.
748923b43c.png

• Timeline - This is where the layers are and where you put objects.
    • Timing/Time Guide idkwhattocallitcre It displays the frame number/time in hh:mm:ss.ss.
    • Zoom(?) - It zooms the Timeline in and out.
    • Scene Manager(?) - It manages the scenes that you made. Scenes are like parts that you can edit individually and put it in the Root. Root is the main part of the video. It's like the Composition in After Effects. idrk sorry :v.
Now right click on the window and you'll see a lot of options.
And again, I'm gonna explain those options.

So the thing is, I already created a project here... And you know how already... OK.
c07e8a75cc.png

1. New Media Object - used to put objects in the timeline
  2. Add Filter Object - use the filters from the filter tab over the layers (Also where Scene Change is.)
  3. Paste...
  4. Insert an empty frame - Never touched that sorry
  5. Undo...
  6. Select object - Never touched that never been available sorry
  7. Grid Setting - This modifies the "grid" in the video and the timeline. Display BPM grid is a BPM guide placed in the timeline with the BPM and offset being in this option. The other two are not as useful as this guide
  8. Range setting - used to set the range of the video
  9. File - idrk I only use it to import the motion tracked object.
  10. Preferences...
In Part 2 I'll be explaining what media objects are and probably the Filters I don't really use the Add Filter Object thing except when I use UTAUview which I never really did :v

raeraera

Momo's Minion
hello! i recently downloaded aviutl 1.10 in english and i dont see any play/pause (playback) button in the edit display, if i want to play them i need to open preview window visible first. please help T^T
view

Reactions: Aeroza

raeraera

Momo's Minion
thank you! but can i ask again eheh when you use camera control there used to be a box in the corner bottom right with the options like "camera, edit, top, bottom left, right" etc but somehow one day it doesnt appear to me.. i forgot what did i do to my aviutl but when i reinstalled it theres no changes... can someone help me with this issue? TvT

UtaUtaUtau

Teto's Territory
Defender of Defoko
thank you! but can i ask again eheh when you use camera control there used to be a box in the corner bottom right with the options like "camera, edit, top, bottom left, right" etc but somehow one day it doesnt appear to me.. i forgot what did i do to my aviutl but when i reinstalled it theres no changes... can someone help me with this issue? TvT
thankfully my email notified me. just press 'v' on your keyboard.

i would also like to say that the best way to contact me now is through my twitter @C5G4D4A3

Nico08

Momo's Minion
Question, is there a plug-in that will allow me to import 3d models I saw somebody else do this so how can I??