An utau is better recorded in 7 MORA or 5 MORA ?

Erwan

Momo's Minion
Heloooo

My question is in the title x3
I want to make my own utau with Oremo but i don't know which way to record, 7 Mora ? 5 Mora ? 5 mora LITE ?

kimchi-tan

Your local Mikotard
Global Mod
Defender of Defoko
It would depend on whether you can record better than the other. Some people stick to 5 mora because they can't handle recording in 7 mora. If you run out of breath easily from recording 7 mora, stick to 5 mora. If you can easily handle 7 mora, I'd recommend using 7 mora since it has less samples to record than 5 mora leading to a smaller voicebank size. Or even better, if you can handle it, try 8 or 9 mora.

수연 <Suyeon>

Your friendly neighborhood koreaboo trash
Supporter
Defender of Defoko
To reiterate what everyone else has said: use what's most comfortable for you. There are pros and cons to each style of reclist...

LITE:
  1. Can't get shorter than LITE lists , so recording won't take long
  2. Is not very user friendly. You - the recorder - will have to add CV phonemes to the list, lest you find yourself missing sounds. The end user will have to contend with the CV portions messing with flow during editing (they'll be editing out VCV combinations made during conversion - this depends on the converter used - as well as editing the oto to make those CV portions sound less choppy)
5 Mora:
  1. Newb friendly - esp. if you don't have a large lung capacity.
  2. Due to the shorter mora count, you will have more lines to record. The downside is: a bigger bank in terms of MB count (though this is a really minor downside unless you live in a country that's starved for decent internet speeds). The upside is: less redundancy to vet out during otoing.
7-8 Mora:
  1. Fastest recording method in terms of lines, but may be more taxing on the voice if you don't have the lung capacity or are doing a particular style (RIP to your vocal cords if you're doing power).
  2. A lot of redundancy is generally involved, so you'll need a good eye to spot and get rid of the repeating portions during otoing.
If you need something that's newb friendly and has no redundacy, I would recommend my list: http://utaforum.net/resources/no-nonsense-japanese-vcv.192/
Comes with romaji and hiragana reclists as well as a base oto. Keep in mind, this hasn't been tested through oremo usage (I haven't personally tested it with oremo, but others state that it's oremo friendly), so you may have to edit the values to better fit your bank.